Dr. Kardong is not an in-network provider for any insurance companies.
If you plan to seek insurance reimbursement to cover all or some of your cost to see Dr. Kardong, please contact your insurance company to check your benefits prior to making your first appointment.
A psychiatrist is the only type of mental health provider who has completed four years of medical school to earn their MD degree, followed by four additional years of residency training to become a specialist in Psychiatry. A psychiatrist is the only mental health provider who can provide both psychotherapy and medication management when needed.
It is very important that you tell your insurance company that you will be seeing a physician/MD. The coverage is usually much better than it is if you are seeing another type of mental health provider. This is often covered under Medical Care vs. Mental Health Care, which is generally to your advantage.
Questions you may want to ask your insurance company:
• Will my visits to Dr. Kardong be covered under my Medical Care benefits?
–In this case, your benefits should be covered in the same way your other out of network physicians are covered, e.g. 80%
–If your visits will be covered under your Mental Health Care benefits, this coverage may be managed differently than the coverage you have for your other physicians
• What are my medical/mental health benefits to see a psychiatrist?
• What is the coverage amount per visit?
• How many visits does my plan cover?
• How much does my insurance pay for an out-of-network provider?
• Am I financially responsible for whatever amount insurance does not pay?
• Is approval in advance required by my insurance company or primary care physician?